Login   Register

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Amazon project begins!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 pm 
OVT Club Member

I would start with a timing light and see if there is any spark to the plugs. If no, are you running the Pertronix system? I have one and have had no problems with it but Phil Singher recommends to use the Crane system because the Pertronix are known to have issues http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?180512-1800ES-Electronic-Ignition-Options-Crane-Pertronix-123Ignition&highlight=b20+ignition+options. If no spark to the plugs I would swap in a points dizzy before I messed with the coil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Member

I was having ignition problems with my car. Meeki built me an aluminum distributor that should have cured the problems. I put it in and the car would barely run. I dropped a Pertronix unit in my old distributor and it runs like a champ. Who know the fickle nature of the gods. I'd say that you've at least eliminated two of the four big ones. I was happy with the Pertronix setup and the MSD 6A will either improve a good system or at least bring a poor system up to mediocre performance. A test coil and replacement of the condenser are inexpensive and easy tests to do. When it is a general, major failure, it doesn't point to something like a bad plug or plug wire; you would simply have a reduction in performance and not a complete failure. A swap of all major components from a running car would confirm whether it was ignition or not. I have a full set I could loan you if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Member

If all your parts are fine, it should run fine.

First thing you CAN and NEED to do is reset the carbs to a baseline. You can't set ignition timing unless the engine is running, but you can put the engine at TDC and pop the distributor cap off to verify that the distributor's rotor is pointed at the #1 spark plug... So do that while looking into setting the carbs.

Were these carbs rebuilt by someone? Were they put in an initial position that should've allowed the car to run and then fine tuned from there? Did you mess with them after installation trying to get the car running or have they not yet been touched?

Did the car gradually drive worse, or did it stay the same during each drive? Did it run fine as soon as you got the engine above idle speed but didn't want to idle? Who adjusted the valves last and what are they at?

Start reading: http://vclassics.com/archive/index.html

Specifically:
Valve adjustment: http://vclassics.com/archive/vadjtip.htm - I typically adjust them with the method labled "Haynes", but either will work more than well enough.
Carb adjustment: http://vclassics.com/archive/sucarbs.htm

Verifing spark first is easy enough. So are these other basics. Go play and report back!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm 

Thanks Kyle!

To address your questions, the carbs were rebuilt, and they were set to baseline. I messed with them just a little and go the car running a bit better.

Went through all the Phil Singer tech stuff (for the most part) before IPD.

Perhaps this will help diagnose things... the car did get worse and worse as I drove it. Perhaps something shifted? I will recheck the timing. I could have sworn everything was buttoned up tight, but who knows with the level of disassembly I took Blackie to!

Once my parents fly back to Hawaii I'll have a bit more time in the evenings... will report back what I find. Thanks to everyone so far for all the help and advice!

——————————————————————————
'98 V70R AWD, '95 960, '89 245DL, '71 142e (red), '71 142e (blue), '67 122s

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 pm 
OVT Club Member

NChoy wrote:

Perhaps this will help diagnose things... the car did get worse and worse as I drove it.

This is why I think start with ignition. I've had several instances of this over the years and its all come back to heat/expansion. Coils twice, little black box for my '75 setup on the 142 once.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Member

Double check the choke function, I had similar issues with a sticky choke... All the way in and the jets in my SU's were still about 1/8" from the bridge.

If you have the Crane pointless ignition double check that the coil your using has the correct resistance. My system worked fine for about 10-15 miles then started acting funny, missing, and running rich-ish and back firing... then the Tach started to get really weird and read as though I had it wired for an 8 cyl, reading low and at times jumping all over. Turned out that my MSD blaster2 coil was not the correct resistance, so a ballast resistor and it worked. Running it too long without a ballast resistor can burn these up, and Crane (if you can get someone on the phone) might send you a new one... I think that the Bosch Blue has the correct resistance but just about anything generic will need a resistor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Member

If you richened the carbs from how they were first adjusted to try and make it run better, the needles may be wrong or it may benefit from some other changes. Do you remember what you did and what it improved/was poorer before?

Nick messaged me a photo of some black soot spark plugs... So, it was definitely running too rich and/or the ignition system is weak at a minimum. Toss some new spark plugs in it, re-adjust the jets to be two full turns down from the "bridge", and see if it starts. I think that's the jist of that part, anyway. Once running, I would always just stick an ear next to the carb throats to listen to the hiss from each one and adjust each carb's idle stop as needed for them to sound similar. If you can't tell a difference, it's good enough until you get a synch thing. Then, after those are adjusted well enough(if not already), with the car off, make sure when you start moving the main throttle linkage, it starts opening each carb at the same time. Adjust the linkages if they aren't opening at the same time.

Blah blah blah. I'm 99.9% sure this is all mentioned in the vclassics articles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Member

Instead of waiting to get your car sync, go to home depot and get a yard stick, and 10 feet of clear tubing, 3/8" worked for me. Attach the clear tubing to the yard stick put a little bit if red atf in it until it reaches the 4-6" mark have the tubing in a "U" hold one end in one carb and the other in the 2nd carb. When sync'd the atf should be at the same level on both sides of the "U"... having someone to hold the yard stick upright while you adjust is probably a good idea... it's a 10.00 carb sync!

Attachments:
diy_manometer.jpg
diy_manometer.jpg [ 108.18 KiB | Viewed 3750 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 am 
Site Member

Nice!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 pm