Login   Register

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:04 am

Post subject: 1998 V70 R
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Member

Well my Beloved V70 R has the dreaded exhaust coming out of Water Reservoir SOOOOSSSSAD.
She only has 144k miles. Should I try and find another motor or have the head gasket changed and Head checked out?
Both sound extremely expensive. Should I try to sell it to someone that can do the work themselves as she is in great shape
silver with blue/black interior.

A Little Advice and Some Kind Words would Be Nice,

JohnnyVegas

Post subject: Re: 1998 V70 R
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Member

Seems tempting. Where are you located and how much would you like for it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Member

Hi Harald I dont know I need to talk to my wife she's very attached to the car I'm thinking 2500-3000. If ya spent 3 grand on motor transplant its certainly a 6 g car.

Just Thoughts

JohnnyV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 pm 
Site Member

V70RNVegas wrote:
Well my Beloved V70 R has the dreaded exhaust coming out of Water Reservoir SOOOOSSSSAD.
She only has 144k miles. Should I try and find another motor or have the head gasket changed and Head checked out?
Both sound extremely expensive. Should I try to sell it to someone that can do the work themselves as she is in great shape
silver with blue/black interior.

A Little Advice and Some Kind Words would Be Nice,

JohnnyVegas
Hey Johnny, how did the headgasket blow? Usually they don't blow in our area unless a car has been leaking coolant and overheated excessively. If that is the case, sometimes you can get away with having the head resurfaced(we usually have it gone through while off) and putting it back together with a new headgasket(and PCV system components, timing belt, water pump, etc.. if they aren't recent). Sometimes the machine shop will tell you the head is warped excessively and will replace it with a good core that gets rebuilt and installed as well. Usually things are ok after that, but there is potential for the bottom end to be worn. That being said, almost none of these cars are in great shape anymore and almost none of the used engines are really as good as one would hope.

How badly the car was overheated and how well it was serviced prior to this would determine what step I would take next. Regardless, it's a minimum $2600 bill at our shop with potential for much more depending on what else is needed... :(

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:04 am