Login   Register

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 am

Post subject: Pulling Studs from Nokian Hakkapeliitta
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Member

Just as the title states, is this safe? I've read that various people pull studs across the internet without issue but would like your guy's input.

Winter is right around the corner and I was thinking of throwing the winter tires on Nov 1st when I can use studs, however I hate studs and studded tires. I travel to the West Side of the state often and in rain, studs are terrible and unsafe. I was thinking that the sipped winter tires with studs removed would probably be the best bet, we just do not get winters IMO that require studded tires.

If not, i'll probably have some studded tires up for sell :P

Post subject: Re: Pulling Studs from Nokian Hakkapeliitta
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 am 
Site Member

They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's if that means anything?

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of even using winter tires, I usually get by on a good all season. But I can already feel it in the rain on normal tires that this Volvo is not my Toyota and would likely need more finesse in the snow.

Still not sure if I should de-stud these and use em for the winter or just sell em and stick good all seasons on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 pm 
OVT Moderator

Husky42 wrote:
They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's if that means anything?

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of even using winter tires, I usually get by on a good all season. But I can already feel it in the rain on normal tires that this Volvo is not my Toyota and would likely need more finesse in the snow.

Still not sure if I should de-stud these and use em for the winter or just sell em and stick good all seasons on.

i have a set on steelies ready for when it turns s*** outside...15 mins in a garage to swap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 am 
Site Member

I have a set of tires with the walnut shell and was extremely impressed with how they preformed in all the snow and ice we had a couple years ago. I was able to go everywhere I wanted in 2wd ( the 4wd quit in the middle of the storm) I will be buying similar when these wear out.

1987 745T, 1988 744NA, 1989 744, 1985 764 V8 project, 2000 Chevy PU, 1992 VW Cabriolet, 1985 Porsche 944, 1970 Jeep Commando, 1969 VW Bug, 1967 122, 1965 220 wagon, 1964 VW dunebugy, 1963 Chevy PU, 1960 Corvette, 1957 GMC 2 1/5 Ton, 1937 Chevy PU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Member

I have worked in the tire industry for 15 years and its a very common thing to do. Its an interesting task and vey labor intensive. Goto Quality Used Tires on 82nd and Sandy ask for Bobby. (One of the shops I have worked at.) The rubber compound is generally softer in most cases the HK2's are a good tire studded or not. They are siped for lots of traction for rain, snow or otherwise. At The Tire Exchange in Kelso washington where I work on the weekends or when I'm out of school. We dont like doing it but cash is king. I started at Les Schwabs when I was 15. Then a few automotive / used tire shops before meeting Tony's sister (my wife now) and working with him for the last 5 or 6 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 pm 
Site Member

Thanks for all the info guys, I probably will have them de-studded and still use them as winter tires. I just am not a big fan of studs.

I was looking into Continental xtreme contacts for my all seasons.

Figure the two would be a decent winter/every other part of the year tire.

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 am