Login   Register

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am

Post subject: New tires...Federal 595's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Member

Just picked up new tires this last weekend...I cant afford much...definitely not a seperate set for just winter. So some might say I cheaped out. :shock:

Trying out a set of Federal 595's from schwabbs. They were $418 installed...so...cheap. With a little research the only downfall I can come up with is the tread life (people complaining about the short life anyway) As for how they've handled so far this week with some rain and now the ice on the roads, I couldn't be happier. I'm the only crazy bastard I've noticed on I-205 at 5:30am the last couple days still driving at 65. I blame most of that on everyone elses ignorance as the roads havent seemed slick at all (I constantly do brake and acceleration checks to get a feel for my grip to the road).

The only complaint I have personally with this tire set up is that I went with 215/45/17...and they are too damned big compared to my previous bald set...getting a lot of rub on the fender liner. Hind site I probably would have tried 215/40/17...and maybe thats the size I should have used, but I thought the size I had was 215/45.

Either way...people always harp on other people for "cheaping out" on tires, but these have been great so far...and considering the weather I think that says something.

Last edited by luke_jones on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New tires...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Member

Last set I bought was 205/55-16 Kumho EST's, and were about the same price from Discount Tire. This was a couple of years ago though... Don't think I'd say you cheaped out - they're not high end tires, but hey, if you're happy with them, that's what matters, right?

Post subject: Re: New tires...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Member

My first choice in tire would have been the Falken Zeix. Those are the tires I ran on the 2 cars before the volvo, and they were amazing. That tire at schwabs however was closer to $650-700. I guess I feel like I cheaped out because what I ended up with was one of the least expensive options at the store...just so happened though that $400 was all the credit I had available with them, so the choice was made for me. I guess overall I just wanted to share my opinion of them for those also in the market for tires with a low budget. Having never used a tire with a tread pattern as these have I was skeptical, but its been great in the rain and ice so far. 8)

Post subject: Re: New tires...Federal 595's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm 

I have 225/55/15 Falken Ziex 912 and they ran right around $450. Too bad changes the size changes price so much.

NChoy wrote:
Now stop all your bitching and complaining and build a real car

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Member

M. Blue 240 wrote:
I have 225/55/15 Falken Ziex 912 and they ran right around $450. Too bad changes the size changes price so much.

Yeah its goofy, because all things considered...its less sidewall...so I would assume less rubber used to make it...but who knows. Probably some trick to the lower profile that I'm not aware of...

I did finally go look at the treadwear rating on the tire...its 240 and the ziex are 360...so its not terribly worse. We'll just have to see how long they live the way I drive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 am 
Site Member

Size has some to do with the price difference, but the place that's selling them has a lot to do with it as well... http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... o?pc=18148

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 am 
OVT Moderator

Americas tire always has the best prices or beats peoples prices whenever i go there..

Just picked up those kuhmo 225/50/15 for $460 with replacement certificates...Cheaper then anyone else

sure they are cheaper on tirerack but by the time you ship them and pay someone to mount them your better off local

If your happy with what you bought thats all that matters

i personally never go to les schwab..Went in there once to have some tires mounted on some volans,They explained to me there was a $15 per tire differance in mounting them since they have to use a "euro machine".....BS

they wanted $130 to mount 4 tires and balance,No dismounts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Member

If I had a choice...I'd never go there...ever. Unfortunately my credit is lousy and they are where I had an account from a previous bad experience.

This experience was no different than expected...first I had to hold their hands and teach them how to take the lug covers off the tsw's...then they proceded to scratch the paint off the edge of the wheels from the tool that takes the tires off....so now I still hate schwabs and I have to repaint the wheels

...but I still like the tires. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:32 pm 
OVT Moderator

did they not have the plastic protector on the end of it when they did it?

i was impressed that Americas was able to swap out new tires on my first set of tethys without even touching them,They also just did my multi x's that pat painted the night before with no damage..

i'm not sure if they all know how to use that s*** properly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Member

Taking the tires on and off the wheels was the only part I didn't watch closely...so not sure if they had the sleeve on the tool. Luckily I was debating a color change on the wheels anyway, but that didnt make it piss me off a whole lot less. Just glad I didnt paint the wheels first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Member

abdlock wrote:
i personally never go to les schwab..Went in there once to have some tires mounted on some volans,They explained to me there was a $15 per tire differance in mounting them since they have to use a "euro machine".....BS

LOL just actually caught this part...thats total BS...anyone that knows how the machine works knows theres no such thing as a "euro machine"...apparently its not just the Albany store thats full of retards.

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am