Login   Register

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 am

Post subject: High HC at DEQ= No Pass!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Member

So my tags expire in a few days, I tried DEQ last week thinking I wouldn't have any problems in my '84 245Ti, (afterall, it just had new custom exhaust and tune completed at RSI). Well, after the first run through, the HC levels were only running about 26 over the 220 limit. Ran the "Guaranteed to Pass" through this last week, drove it hard this morning, went in and failed with HC levels now in the 450 range! Very frustrating to say the least, so just looking for any advice/suggestions at this point. I'm thinking the O2 sensor is probably on it's last legs, I put a multimeter on it and it was staying around .2, (which I think means it's running lean, therefore dumping more fuel in to compensate)? I pinched a fuel line and it just stayed at that reading as well. Thanks for any help.
-Jeff

Post subject: Re: High HC at DEQ= No Pass!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Member

Mixture may be off by a bit. The voltage should cycle somewhere between .3 and .7 volts when the mixture is adjusted properly and the O2 sensor is healthy. I'd take it back to RSI and have them readjust the mixture, after you've put some fresh fuel (ideally E0 gas, since that makes a 240T run right) into the tank. Then, take it back to the emissions testing station.

If it still won't pass, get a PO Box in Vancouver, see if an OVT'er in the area will allow you to use their address as your "physical address", then register your car in Vancouver. No more emissions testing, since the car's over 25 years old.

-J

https://www.facebook.com/Blue245Ti
http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Member

I can't remember which way is which, but yes, having the o2 sensor reading low and not bouncing up and down either means that the engine is running too rich or too lean(or, the sensor is bad). First step is re-check for vacuum/exhaust leaks and make sure that none have developed(either in the exhaust or the intake, before the oxygen sensor). Then, adjust the fuel mixture(I assume) in the proper direction to either lean/richen it out enough to get the oxygen sensor to cycle as mentioned above. There may or may not be a problem with the sensor, or some other component that can affect mixture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Member

Thanks guys, I will dink around more on my next day off, (Sunday)... I did pull the O2 sensor to get the part number, and it appears when I checked this online, it's actually a sensor for an NA B230 engine. Would this make a huge difference since my car should ultimately have a sensor for a turbo vehicle? I've been running with this sensor for who knows how long now...
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Member

Should work... On our two B230 cars, I actually ran the generic Bosch 027 sensors. Yeah, lost the heating element, but the cars still ran properly when warm.

Ideally, I'd use a dwell meter for the mixture adjustment, instead of the multimeter set to DC volts. Adjust it to somewhere between 42 and 48 degrees dwell, with the dwell meter connected to the loose red wire next to the distributor.

-J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Member

Well fiddled around today, put the $18 buck universal bosch O2 sensor in, and at least now it cycles on the multimeter! However, it's ranging from .02 to .09 right now. Is that bad, should I try to adjust rich/lean a little more? I really haven't a clue what I'm doing, I even hooked up the air/fuel gauge to watch it jump up and down. I put in a bottle of that Octane 104 stuff, pretty thick stuff! I've noticed it must be working, I have had some hesitation from take-off today, like it's cleaning crap out of the injectors?! Speaking of injectors, Kyle, I think a few years ago when it was at the Vshop someone mentioned it might need new injectors, but I just can't remember. Anyway, I guess I will try DEQ tomorrow and let you know, (oh, I also put in new plugs today)...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 pm 

volvoluvr wrote:
Well fiddled around today, put the $18 buck universal bosch O2 sensor in,
Thanks!

There's an $18 sensor?! What's the part number? That would sure beat the hell out of a $128 OEM sensor.

NChoy wrote:
Now stop all your bitching and complaining and build a real car

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:28 pm 
Site Member

11027. Has no heating element. Might not work well with LH 2.4, but worked fine with LH 2.2...

-J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Member

volvoluvr wrote:
Well fiddled around today, put the $18 buck universal bosch O2 sensor in, and at least now it cycles on the multimeter! However, it's ranging from .02 to .09 right now. Is that bad, should I try to adjust rich/lean a little more? I really haven't a clue what I'm doing, I even hooked up the air/fuel gauge to watch it jump up and down. I put in a bottle of that Octane 104 stuff, pretty thick stuff! I've noticed it must be working, I have had some hesitation from take-off today, like it's cleaning crap out of the injectors?! Speaking of injectors, Kyle, I think a few years ago when it was at the Vshop someone mentioned it might need new injectors, but I just can't remember. Anyway, I guess I will try DEQ tomorrow and let you know, (oh, I also put in new plugs today)...

Thanks!
Do you mean .2-.9V? Because, that would be proper. If it's .02-.09, it's way on one end of the scale... I don't know if Octane 104 is any good, but I think it's an octane booster more than it's a fuel system cleaner. Higher octane may actually make it even harder to pass, in theory. In reality, probably not. Speaking of octane, put like a 30% mixture of E85 in there and the car will go through emissions without problem, likely. Then again, you'll never know if it's actually running right, then.

Try DEQ and let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 am 
Site Member

Ha, yes, I meant .2-.9, it's sure lost some of the power now, so Im pretty sure RSI had set it a little on the rich side to maximize ooommpphhh! I sure wish I could figure out why the idle stays higher after revving and just takes forever to rev back down. This has been a problem for sometime now as well. I took out all of the injectors and cleaned out by jamming the red straw from brake cleaner inside. They all had a pretty good mist pattern, except for number 4, just kind of came out in a stream. That might be the one Peter thought needed replacing? Hmmmm, I think a trip to the Vshop might be in order! :wink: Well, I will try DEQ one more time today and report back...
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 am 
Site Member

volvoluvr wrote:
Ha, yes, I meant .2-.9, it's sure lost some of the power now, so Im pretty sure RSI had set it a little on the rich side to maximize ooommpphhh! I sure wish I could figure out why the idle stays higher after revving and just takes forever to rev back down. This has been a problem for sometime now as well. I took out all of the injectors and cleaned out by jamming the red straw from brake cleaner inside. They all had a pretty good mist pattern, except for number 4, just kind of came out in a stream. That might be the one Peter thought needed replacing? Hmmmm, I think a trip to the Vshop might be in order! :wink: Well, I will try DEQ one more time today and report back...
Thanks!

Why bring it to the V Shop if you already know what a problem is? :) Just replace it!

Also, the car shouldn't have lost any oomph just from changing out the oxygen sensor for a working one... What else did you change? Did you create a vacuum leak? lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Site Member

I always have to throw this out there. Did you get the oil changed recently? My car wouldn't pass deq. Way high hc and co2. Once I changed the oil and drove down to deq it passed with no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Member

Failed miserably this morning, now CO levels are high as well! Something like 650 HC/5.5 CO. Yep, did oil change the other day as well. I might just pick up one injector, throw that in #4 cylinder, and get 5 or so gallons of E85! I will keep you posted...
Thanks!

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 am