Login   Register

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 am

Post subject: Main pump delete kit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 am 
Site Member

So I thought I'd have to replace Yeti's main pump yet again, and I have a walbro languishing in moo-moo that I could put to good use. However, finding the necessary parts to adapt the walbro locally is a bit of a challenge. Most auto parts stores don't carry high pressure fuel line, and I don't want a hodge-podge of adapters floating around under the car carrying high pressure fuel.

I thought maybe if I could source a good selection of parts at a reasonable price I could offer them up to the community at large. My thoughts were along the lines of:

• a M14x1.5 to -AN adapter (-6 or -8?)
  • an appropriate length of quality high-pressure fuel line (4-5 feet?)
  • 10 feet of 14-16ga power cable
  • relay
  • 1 foot of ground strap
  • instructions

That would get people the parts they'd need to pull the main pump, install a walbro or other high-capacity in-tank pump and not worry about things leaking from crappy brass jb-welded connectors (like what I saw on TB when researching this last night).

Thoughts? I'd hope to get things under the $50 mark just to make the cost of entry nice and cheap. Add a new fuel filter for like $10 or whatever cost + some handling fee. I know if it were me looking for a kit, I'd snap it up for that price.

Post subject: Re: Main pump delete kit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Member

Our shop has a kit for repairing high pressure fuel lines made by Doorman. The number 800-300, I made some lines for my car with it, and it worked well. There are adapters, fuel line, and even a tool to put the ends on the line. I didn't use the tool, I used a heat gun to warm up the line, then pressed the fittings in. Was able to reuse the original fittings because I cut them off the old line.... Hope this helps....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Member

I like my factory fitted stuff... Fits right, looks right, works right. Why go through the hassle to do this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 pm 
Site Member

KLR142 wrote:
I like my factory fitted stuff... Fits right, looks right, works right. Why go through the hassle to do this?

Because the factory stuff is hella expensive. If one pump goes out, the other isn't far behind (usually), and if you buy new and OEM what kind of costs are you looking at? My GF was quoted over $600 for just the two pumps a few months ago. On a car she spent $500 to buy.

With this kit and a sub-$100 walbro pump, you can get back on the road, push your car a little harder performance wise, and not have to worry about replacing uber expensive oem stuff down the line.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 am 
Site Member

Bosch main pump is sub-$100 now for LH-Jet. A K-Jet 949 pump is $115. The 700 Turbo prepump is about $70. So, yeah, a little more than the $150 you're thinking about for a complete Walbro kit, but no serious mods, except for trimming the sending unit's tube and adding a clamp to hold the prepump to the sending unit.

Those prices were quoted by Autosport Seattle, which is the shop I get my parts from locally. It's probable that the parts are now made in Mexico, but the prices are much less than what they were many years ago. I also suspect that the shop was trying to get as much money out of Jenn as they could.

-J

https://www.facebook.com/Blue245Ti
http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Member

And there's a million of the factory ones in the yards, they don't go bad that often. I'm still on my original pumps... Knocks on wood... I did purchase a new main pump, just in case, so I'm ready to go if it does go out. Unless I'm away from home.

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 am